A wonderful pair of late18th century carved Bath stone garden urns, from Hinton House, Hinton Charterhouse, Somerset. These urns, partners to the other pair listed originally had handles, but have lost them a long time ago. when damaged the remains of the handles have been taken away completely and now the only tell tale signs is a little discolouration where the handles were.
The Warwick Urn discovered at Hadrian's Villa, Tivoli in around 1771 by Gavin Hamilton, art dealer and antiquarian. Hamilton sold the fragments to Sir William Hamilton who in turn passed it on to his nephew George Greville, 2nd Earl Of Warwick 1746 - 1816. Greville bought the restored urn back to England which caused a sensation when it was exhibited. It can now be found at the Burrel Collection, Glasgow.
Provenance: Hinton House, Hinton Chartehouse, Somerset
English circa 1790
H 23" x W 24"" x D 24"