The most glorious matched pair of late18th century carved Bath stone garden urns, from Hinton House, Hinton Charterhouse, Somerset. The body festooned with garlands of flowers and fruit, the bold writhen handles are quite exceptional, reminiscent and most likely influenced by the handles found on the famous Warwick urn, which was brought back to England and exhibited around the time these urns were made. The only difference between these two urns are the top rim, which can be seen in the photographs.
The Warwick Urn discovered at Hadrian's Villa, Tivoli in around 1771 by Gavin Hamilton, art dealer and antiquarian. Hamilton sold the fragments to Sir William Hamilton who in turn passed it on to his nephew George Greville, 2nd Earl Of Warwick 1746 - 1816. Greville bought the restored urn back to England which caused a sensation when it was exhibited. It can now be found at the Burrel Collection, Glasgow.
Provenance: Hinton House, Hinton Chartehouse, Somerset
English circa 1790
H 23" x W 33" x D 24"
Make an enquiry