A rare, very large scale and beautifully detailed, Coadestone corner capital, stamped Croggon London 1832. In very good condition, with expected wear and tear ( nibbles and chips )
William Croggon managed the business for Eleanor Coade after John Sealy, her partners, death in 1813. When Eleanor died in in 1821, William bought the business and ran it successfully until his death in1835. Thomas, his son, took over until it closed in the early 1840's.
Eleanor Coade (d 1821) opened her Lambeth Manufactory for ceramic artificial stone in 1769, appointing the sculptor John Bacon as its manager two years later. She was employed by all the leading late 18th Century architects. From about 1777 she began her engraved designs, which were published in 1784 in a catalogue of over 700 items entitled A Descriptive Catalogue of Coade's Artificial Stone Manufactory. Then in 1799, the year she entered into partnership with her cousin John Sealey, she issued a handbook for her Pedlar's Lane exhibition Gallery. The firm became Coade and Sealey from this date and following Sealey's death in 1813, it reverted to Coade and in 1821 with the death of the younger Eleanor Coade, control of the firm passed to William Croggan, who died in 1835, following bankruptcy. Coade's manufactures resembling a fine-grained natural stone, have always been famed for their durability in the garden.( Information taken from Summersplace auctions Lot 90 20th May 2008 )
H 22 1/2" x W 40" x D 24"
Make an enquiry